Monday, December 5, 2011

Horror Reinvented?...

Horror is my first love (yes even ahead of both Chik-fil-A sauce and Jersey Shore). My favorite movies are ones that are scary. When a scary movie is good, its a joy ride, but when a scary movie is great--it's a rollercoaster ride. Great scary movies in my book are Halloween (1978), Scream, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), and Showgirls ("Absolutely frightening!"- Randy in Scream 2). I was joking about the last one, but Saved By The Bell alum Jesse Spano's "acting" or lack thereof was pure torture that redefined the the term cruel and unusual.

Horror though has taken a bit of a hit as of late, something I commented on while working at SUU. I had pegged my hopes on the self-referential sequel Scre4m as being the film that could bring horror back, but despite it's best efforts, even Wes Craven couldn't resurrect the genre.

Enter Joss Whedon of Buffy fame. Nerds swoon even the mention of his name. He is directing The Avengers due out this summer and admitted once that he had creative input on Toy Story. Indeed, Whedon might be the "Fanboy Messiah." Now, Whedon has produced this seemingly small film, The Cabin in the Woods, which he promised would be "the horror film to end all horror films." Check out the trailer below, which quite surprisingly gives a lot away.


The movie promises "secrets," but it seems it's already given a lot away. I'll give Whedon the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgment until then, but I'm very skeptical. Doesn't the trailer feel like a mash up between Saw, Friday The 13th (not the good one either), and House on Haunted Hill with maybe a sprinkling of a Judd Apatow comedy? Guess we'll have to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment