Saturday, December 10, 2011

Trailer Trash...

Bunch of trailers released recently... some are good... some not so much. I'll let you decide. ;)

First up, is The Lucky One starring Zac Efron (He needs a hit like Christina Aguilera needs a diet). It's weird, because I felt like I've seen this movie before, and then it becomes apparent that I have with the words, "From Nicolas Sparks author of The Notebook." Yup, Sparks is at it again pushing the same smarmy romance that supposedly warms women's hearts. I'm all for the ability of love to transcend differences and bind souls eternally forever. In fact I'd consider myself a hopeless romantic. I'm easily swept off my feet. But honestly with the exception of maybe The Notebook, Sparks has never written anything remotely groundbreaking or romantic in my book. The Last Song was like a Hallmark card commercial only worse because Miley was in it with her overbite. Dear John was a pile of "meh!" Channing Tatum tried really hard and Amanda Seyfried managed to look homely
(in a non-hipster way).

Anyway, now there's this pile of reheated leftovers--The Lucky One. After seeing the trailer though, I think the only lucky one is the one who doesn't have internet and therefore no way to access youtube. Tell me if I'm wrong...


I could use a good tug on my heart strings, but I definitely don't think The Lucky One is going to do it.


It seems with films like, Valentine's Day, Crash, Oceans 11-13, and now New Year's Eve, that the new trend is to cram every star in Hollywood into a movie. I'm not exactly sure what the big benefit is for studios, because when stars like Julia Roberts, Jamie Foxx, and Jessica Biel are vying for screentime its hard to gauge what bankability the ensemble really is for studios. Nonetheless, this trend is alive and well. Now comes What to Expect When You're Expecting. Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Dennis Quaid, Brooklyn Decker, Matthew Morrison, Chace Crawford, and Chris Rock. I think even The Easter Bunny, JohnWayne, Benjamin Franklin and a sober Lindsay Lohan have made an appearance in this film. Of course I'm being sarcastic, but it does seem like EVERYONE is in this movie. Check it out...  



Though it isn't a cup of my personal tea, it does look like it could be kinda funny. The biggest highlight of the film is seeing Reno 911! alums Wendy McLendon-Covey and Thomas Lennon together again (If you know me you know I LOVE Reno 911! like a fat kid likes cannisters of frosting).

Next up is Battleship, because the world needs another movie that looks like a rip-off of a Michael Bay movie. Seriously, this film could moonlight as Transformers 4: Explosions... Explosions... and did we mention EXPLOSIONS! Even still, with Peter Berg directing, the gifted man behind both the film version of Friday Night Lights and the television series, this could be better than a Bay movie (that's not really a compliment though). Further Friday Night Lights stars Tim Riggins  Taylor Kitsch and Landry Jesse Plemons are reunited with Berg. Brooklyn Decker, Alexander Skarsgard, and Obi Wan Kenobi Liam Neeson also star. Oh, and even Rihanna is in it to (Maybe she'll perform "We found Love" y'all know how much I LOVE that song). Anyway, I'm really on the fence bout this one... Check it out...



It does feel like Bay vomitted all over this, but maybe I'm wrong. I also know that A LOT of people will probably like this movie, but as of right now, I'm not one of them Tim Riggins save us... we need it.

And before you say, "Matt you're too stuck up bout your movies--lighten up!" I'll just let the girls from Bring It On! answer that for me...



Yep, stop talking... right now. This movie stuff is my life. PERIOD. Honestly, the advertising/marketing departments (yes, I have a degree and am therefore qualified here as well) have done a rather decent job of cutting the trailer, but they all fail ultimately as none of them look fresh or exciting. In deed they all lack one important ingredient--originality.

Miss Streep, what do you have to say about things that lack originality?

  

I rest my case. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment